NIST has earned a reputation for academic excellence, and our students continually outperform national, regional and global averages in the standard IB diploma examinations and SAT. The graduating Class of 2014 posted exceptional results in the IB DP exams, setting a record average score of 36, with 41% of the students earning 38 or more points, and 28% earning 40 or more points. Comparatively, only 9% and 5% of test takers worldwide achieved those same levels. Similarly, the Class of 2015 achieved averages well above many of their peers, bringing NIST’s three-year average to 35. This is particularly notable in that it is the highest average among any large cohort in Thailand with nearly the full class enrolled in the DP each year.
IB Diploma Examination Results: 2005-2015
As an IB World School, NIST offers students in Years 12-13 the opportunity to pursue the IB Diploma, a high school qualification that is recognized by universities around the world. All students who choose to pursue the diploma must take the standardized IB examinations, administered by the IB. NIST students have traditionally excelled in these exams, posting scores well above the global averages, and often leading other schools in the region.
|Students in DP|
|IB Diplomas Awarded|
|NIST Pass Rate|
|Global Pass Rate|
|NIST Average Score|
|Global Average Score|
|NIST % of Bilingual Diplomas|
|Global % of Bilingual Diplomas|
SAT Results: 2012-2015
The SAT is a standardized examination offered to college-bound students worldwide, and a SAT score is required by many universities in order to complete the admissions process. Two key areas, math and reading, are measured, with an optional essay portion (as of 2016). Global averages remain relatively consistent at approximately 500 in each area. (See the College Board’s full results from 1972 to 2015 here.) NIST seniors consistently outperform these averages in both math and reading.
|NIST Critical Reading Average|
|Global Critical Reading Average|
|NIST Math Average|
|Global Math Average|
An optional qualification that students may choose to pursue during their high school years, the GCD allows students to reflect on learning experiences that are not traditionally measured through the IB programme. These reflections are reviewed and approved by a panel of staff members according to a standard set of expectations, allowing the students to earn recognition for their accomplishments in a wide variety of areas.
In the 2014-2015 school year, the first in which the GCD was offered, four NIST students received the GCD certificate, seven the full diploma and two the full diploma with distinction. Similarly, many members of the Class of 2016 are on track to receive one of the three by June of 2016.
University Guidance & Acceptances
Each year approximately 90% of NIST graduates matriculate abroad, while the remaining 10% choose to study at universities in Thailand. A few seniors occasionally embark on a gap year, obtaining work placements, or complete their military service if so required by their home countries.
At NIST we begin the college guidance process in students’ first year of high school and work closely with them to select universities that are a good match. The guidance programme includes dozens of visits from university representatives each year; information sessions for students and parents; and a clear, transparent process that allows universities to trust that they are receiving serious applications from our students.
As a result of this careful planning, NIST students have been accepted to every one of the top 100 universities worldwide, and NIST alumni can be found in dozens of countries around the globe.