How is NIST different from other international schools in Bangkok?

Thailand has a very high ratio of international schools per capita compared to other countries in Asia, providing parents with an immense number of choices. However, most international schools in Bangkok offer only British or American curricula, with few other options available. NIST is one of only three full IB international schools, and the only one with not-for-profit status and a central campus in the heart of the city.

The IB philosophy permeates our school, and our values of integrity, caring, community and growth are central to our learning and actions. To inspire, empower and enrich our students, we diligently work to provide unique learning opportunities that you may not find at other international schools in Bangkok.

What Does NIST Offer that Other International Schools in Bangkok Do Not?

In addition to activities that encourage and challenge, such as Action Week and Challenge by Choice,  NIST partners with elite organizations around the globe to offer first-class programmes and resources. This includes partnerships with Chelsea Football Club, Global Goals World Cup and UN Development Programme, and the Global Citizen Diploma. In 2018 we will be partnering with Harvard Graduate School of Education to conduct on-site research through Project Zero.

While there are many international schools in Bangkok, few can offer the expansive facilities, resources and programmes available at NIST while also maintaining a strong, caring community.

How multicultural is NIST?

NIST was founded primarily to serve the children of expatriate families living temporarily in Bangkok. We also welcome Thai and other long-term, Bangkok-based residents who are committed to the mission of the school and can contribute meaningfully to our community.

Approximately 26% of student population is Thai, while the remaining 74% represents over 60 nationalities. Learn more about our community here.

Can English language learners study at NIST?

NIST has a well-resourced English as an Additional Language (EAL) department, and in the elementary school we are able to  accept beginner English language learners. Because of the curricular demands in the secondary school, we are able to support intermediate and advanced level English language learners.

English is the language of instruction in all year levels and it is important that students are able to successfully access the curriculum within our available EAL support resources.  We may therefore limit the number of EAL students in each year level to ensure they have access to needed services and that strong English language standards are maintained throughout the school. However, in line with our values and philosophy, we do not charge any additional fees for this support.

Does NIST offer learning support?

NIST is able to support students with mild to moderate learning differences, but we are not equipped or staffed to educate students with severe learning or physical disabilities. Children with minor learning differences or minor physical problems may be admitted if we determine that the differences can be accommodated in the regular classroom setting and existing learning support programmes, and if our environment is deemed to be the right fit for the student.

Should significant social/emotional issues or learning differences become apparent following enrollment in the school, we will consult with parents and strive to support the student within the extent of our resources and capabilities. However, we reserve the right to review a student’s progress. If we determine that we are unable to accommodate a student’s special needs, we will endeavor to direct parents to more suitable options in the best interest of the student.

How many students and teachers are there per class in each year level?

We recognize the need to maintain a student-teacher ratio that offers maximum opportunities for instruction and learning.
In principle, the maximum number of students per class is as follows:

Year Level
Classes & Students
Teachers & Assistants
Early Years 6 composite classes, 18-19 students each 1 teacher, 2 assistants
Year 1 6 classes, 19-20 students each 1 teacher, 2 assistants
Years 2, 3, 4 & 6 6 classes, 22-23 students each 1 teacher, 1 assistant
Years 5 5 classes, 23-24 students each 1 teacher, 1 assistant
Years 7-13 5 classes, 23-24 students each N/A

In exceptional circumstances, a class may be increased by up to two spaces with the approval of the Head of School.